View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Dreamstones you may have more leverage than you think:

Very Interesting report of a decision in '02 of the Wisconsin Supreme Court as to what determines a 'danger to themselves' :

Wisconsin Court Rejects Attempt To Narrow Commitment Law -- Bender 37 (24): 13 -- Psychiatr News

I found this part of the ruling quite interesting:

In State of Wisconsin v. Dennis H., the court ruled that mentally ill persons who meet the criteria set forth in the fifth standard "are clearly dangerous to themselves because their incapacity to make informed medication or treatment decisions makes them more vulnerable to severely harmful deterioration than those who are competent to make such decisions."
You may want to keep checking.

I am originally from Wisconsin, and I know 2 1/2 years ago an old and dear friend got her alcoholic/addict husband involuntarily committed and it was only later when they had him detoxed and working with him that they figured out he was also Bi Polar. He is still committed, as out in the real world he won't take his medications.

So if your sister has reached that point, don't give up, sometimes it is our last recourse.

I know, I know we (I) always say "hands off the alcoholic and/or addict" but when they reach the state of not being able to take care of themselves, when they are harming themselves, even just by not taking medication, my Mrs. Fix It kicks in. Sometimes Involuntary commitment is necessary.

Sometimes, no many times, it doesn't even have to be a family member pursuing it. A call to "Adult Protection Services" and a Social Worker takes over.

J M H O

Love and hugs,