Old 04-13-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
littlefish

Deadboy, after reading through this thread over again for the second time or so in a couple of days, I think you need to consider the fact that you might have some problems of your own.

The first thing that has unfolded in the thread is that you weren't really up front with all of us here when you described gf as a "closet drinker". It turns out she is far from that. Towards the end of the thread you mentioned that she's been in rehab. (!!!???) And, as the thread unfolded, it went from "closet drinking" to drunk 4 nights out of 7. That is no closet drinker and we all know that. You seem to have been reluctant to disclose all of the facts from the beginning.

Look, I was in my AA meeting tonight and someone shared about being co-dependent. She is an alcoholic but she was in a co-dependent relationship as well. I didn't know much about being co-dependent as I have been busy as hell being the dependent, but it was an eye-opener.

It really sounds like you are warming up to the idea of being a co-dependent. Why? Well, imagine the moth to the flame.

In our best of days, before we crash and burn, maybe there is something exciting, attractive and interesting about us alkies. Before it all falls apart, it SEEMS like we have something going on. We can, of course, be bigger than life, the life of the party, funny as hell, witty and whatever. Brilliant, sexy, well dressed and talented, before we throw up in the potted plant and disgust all the hotel guests, that is.

Maybe you are attracted to some of that? Because whatever it is, it seems you are attracted to it.

From the little I gleaned at my meeting tonight, in the co-dependent complex there seems to be a desire to cure, to fix, to control the sick person to satisfy some inner need.

Well, if you are involving yourself in cure, fix and control then maybe you have to be honest with yourself and ask yourself if this relationship is about having a relationship or satisfying your need to cure/fix/control. If that is the case, then I hope you are ready for a lot of pain, because there is no guarantee that you can cure/fix/control anyone, much less an alcoholic. It rarely happens. Put it this way: with the average person you might have a 30% chance of curing/fixing/controlling, with an alcoholic, lower that to less than 5%.