Old 04-08-2009, 01:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
littlefish

Promise. Ok - if that's what you want.
Stop worrying about me . . .
Deadboy, I hope you proceed with the utmost of caution here! she is telling you she will ease off of the booze "for you".

That won't cut it: an alcoholic has to quit for themself. It simply won't last if they try to quit for any other reason. And, with that kind of statement, she is also roping you into a possible situation of enabling.

You are not part of the equation of her quitting! that is between her and her addiction.
I strongly suggest AlAnon. There you will learn that quitting is not about will power.
I hope you give this a lot of thought: you are considering being part of a triangle love affair. You, her and alcohol. Are you sure you are ready for that?
Because, believe me, if she is an alcoholic, she is going to love that bottle as much as she loves you, or.....more than she loves you.
The best support you could give her, if you decide to enter into this relationship, is to tell her to quit completely for herself, and that you won't have a relationship with an alcoholic. Sound harsh? Not really. The best news any alcoholic can hear is that quitting is the only option.
My names littlefish, and I'm an alcoholic.