View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

What an Eye Opener.

Ok, I need to put this on here. Maybe it will help some of you gain the perspective I just gained.

I went to dinner at my mother in laws house. She is in the midst of getting a divorce and its not pretty. Her husband of 20 years has always been the bread winner and he is trying to make sure she doesnt get much money, or he is at least making it a living hell for her to get it. The worst thing is he is bringing their kids in the middle of it. He is telling them all these horrible things about her and pitting them against her. He is even trying to convince them to testify against her in court. I am speechless. I am very close to calling him and letting him know that he is very close to not seeing his grandchildren out of fear he might try to poison their heads with the same BS. I pulled my mother in law aside and told her that I have been sober for 2 weeks now and that I am mentally back to the way I once was and that if she needed me at any time to call. Even late at night since I wont be too drunk to be there for her. Anyway, this opened my eyes to how thankful I need to be for my wife and out great marriage. I asked her in the car if by me not drinking I eliminated the only thing we ever had differences about and she said yes. I figure if all I have to do to keep a happy marriage is continue being the man I am and quit drinking, I got it made.

A second thing happened tonight. My wife's cousin came over and her daughter has Leukemia. Her daughter is the same age as my second daughter, 3. She is going through Chemotherapy and will have to have a bunch of radiation done. This made me think how thankful I need to be that I have 3 perfect children with no health problems. It made me realize that everyday I am alive is another day that I can spend with them. It made me realize that all alcohol does is increase the chances of me not being here for them, both physically as well as mentally.

Both of these things made me realize how short life is and how you really need to thank God, Allah, the spirit which moves through all things, etc.... for your health, family, and well being. I can tell you from this moment on, I will thank some higher power for what I have as some dont have the happiness I was taking for granted every day.

I hope this quick story has motivated some of you the way it motivated me. I love you all and lets keep this sobriety thing going.

Chris