View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
At the risk of looking like a flamer here, my original post in that thread was NOT an attack on AA. It was a response to a thread posted in the Substance Abuse forum about how folks should not fear the god thing. I didn't feel it was my place to post a response there because I knew it would seriously derail the OP's theme and it would have turned into a flame fest. I didn’t want to crap on someone else’s thread, so I elected to start my own. Apparently that was still a mistake, because although it started out well (at least I thought it did), it did degrade over time.

Some of the responses towards the end were inflammatory, others were not. I’ve noticed that in other parts of SR, sometimes a warning is given and the offending posts are removed. If the flaming continues, THEN the thread is shut down.

I’m really not trying to be a pain here, I’m just trying to understand. Sometimes it’s hard to know where the boundaries are, especially when your personal philosophies are seemingly at odds with the majority.

I’m not trying to upset people, I’m trying to connect with like-folk. If I do say something to offend someone, I’d like to be told. Send me a PM, mods, and tell me exactly how I’m being out of line so I can avoid doing so. Maybe you don’t have time to PM everyone…I know you folks are busy people. I’m feeling like I’m walking on eggshells here. Thank you.
The rules here at SR are pretty cut and dry. Don't flame. Don't bash other's beliefs. MG and I have posted several warnings in other threads in the last week and a half posting the rules.

You are right, I am busy outside of SR. When I see a thread that has derailed into over a page of posts that bash the beliefs of religious folk (and again that goes against the description of the board and rules of the forum) I do not have time to PM every single person who broke the rules. Did you read why I didn't PM every single person that posted an anti-12 Step post?

I have posted the boundaries, both through the rules and the Secular Connections description. It is not up for debate whether it goes against what you perceive as the majority. What is important is that the owners, admin and moderators feel that these posts are at odds with the SR rules and philosophy.

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
That ISN'T how I remember it. It wasn't originally about "not twelve step". It was about being secular - in other words being more interested in the human rather than the divine. It became apparent though that what some people WANTED was a place where 12 step wasn't talked about in any positive way.
From MG's welcome message when Secular opened

Originally Posted by Morning Glory
This forum is a non-12-step forum. It is open to all our members who approach their life with secular viewpoints.
That sounds as if it the forum was originally opened to discuss programs and recovery which are "not twelve steps".

Perhaps what you could do, as a moderator, is take out every reference to 12 step as soon as it appears. If you want a non-12 step forum, perhaps you might stop them all talking about 12 step.
If I had the time to catch every post that talks about the twelve steps in the Secular board I would. As for past posts, I have a sticky explaining that I am pruning posts and threads that go against the rules. You can help by using the report button when new posts pop up.