View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
firestorm090

Hey sadlion,

Welcome to SR.

I sincerely doubt that anyone here will give you a shot or the like. The main purpose of this group is to support people who are trying to get sober and learn how to live sober.

Being a drunk like me has nothing to do with money, earnings or ability to earn while others are getting the boot. Most hardcore alcoholics that I know are very functional, intelligent and deeply caring people. Somewhere along the line we lost our ability to control alcohol, and our consumption of it began to have very adverse effects on our lives. What brought us here is that we were hopeless in our efforts to regain control and our lives had become empty shells of what they once were. The support we share helps us stay sober when we alone could not. It is a daily struggle, but it does get easier with time.

I am glad you found SR and have not reached the depths of despair that some of us have. My drinking history lasted over thirty years, so I've lost, gained, then lost again all the things many people think will bring us happiness. I was miserable as a drunk and now struggle to stay sober, sometimes by the hour, but it is a better way to live. I am happier most of the time, but the cravings still come and the thought patterns of many years are hard to reverse.

I hope you can stop now, before you experience the losses that many of us have had to endure. Keep coming back.