Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
irishmalcolm

I have read all of his site, yes. I think the fundamental flaw is that A.A. is regarded in terms of the legacy of Unity (the Fellowship) rather than the other two legacies of Recovery (up to Page 164 in the Big Book) and Service (the 5th tradition, not to be confused with service within the fellowship). Nowhere does he state that A.A. has 4 textbooks (Alcoholics Anonymous, 12x12, AA Comes of Age and As Bill Sees It (44 Questions p.30)) thus considering the society purely in the narrow terms terms of the fellowship, which came after the book (p.xvii BB) and expecting that the Group become the prime focus of recovery from alcoholism in AA. But nowhere in the literature was that ever considered the means of recovery.
Nor does he discuss the 12 Concepts for World Service in any depth. A serious oversight I think because their lack of diligence has allowed AA to become affiliated with the treatment centre industry. In turn, much of what we hear in the fellowship is the ideas and treatments of an outside enterprise.
I find his contention that AA is a cult, headed by a charismatic leader hilarious. The vast majority of the membership will never read AA Comes of Age, The 12 concepts for world service or the 12x12. Most do not work the program of recovery as laid out in the text book "Alcoholics Anonymous". For a taste of what AA was like 74 years ago when it started, Dr. Bob and the Good Old Timers has some fascinating info. For instance you were not allowed into their meetings until you did their program (which can be found on p.263 for at least 3 months during which you had to do it). A sponsor literally paid for mandatory hospitalization for a man he wanted to help (hence the term sponsor). There is a very good non-AA book on it's history called "Not God" which is a hoot.
AA suits me because I place equal importance on all 3 legacies. I am not meeting dependant, prefer to work one-on-one with my sponsor or someone I'm sponsoring and attend literature based meetings, rather than the majority open-discussion meetings. The fellowship of AA is not, nor was it ever meant to be, a self-help therapy group. It is a set of spiritual principles laid out in a book designed for one who has experience in Recovery to transmit that message to another person to help them find a Power (of their own understanding and choice) to remove the obsession to drink alcohol. That works for those who take the necessary actions. It is unfortunate that that simple formula has been so taken out of all context that it is open season on A.A., not from any other source that I can discern other than former disgruntled members.
I am responsible for my own recovery, and for what I have done in active addiction and continue to do in sobriety. It is my belief that anything is better than someone dying from an illness that has taken the lives of many people I knew and loved. If you find recovery in AA, Lifering, Religion, Therapy or where ever then it should be supported. I'm a member of A.A. and love it. I feel no need to attack other methods because I believe they will stand or fall on their own merits, time will tell. I have my own experience with the Orange papers not addressing letters and know for myself the truth from the false on his site. It is not anywhere nearly as accurate as most would suspect, but then it fulfills a purpose by appearing to validate genuine concerns whilst remaining no more than a conspiracy theorists blog. Cherry-picking, misrepresenting and opining it's way, all the time remaining secretive, unaccountable and unchecked by any other reliable input.

Love and Peace
Malcolm