View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 09:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Eroica

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
Well, since you are curious I will share this. The native American Indians have an alcoholism rate which is outstanding. Why? Because they've only had alcohol in their culture for 300 years. The Nordic people have only had it in their grips for 1500 years. Contrast this with those of Mediterranean countries - 7000 years. What this basically means is that the weak genetic links get tossed out. There IS a reason that those of southern European descent can drink and handle alcohol. Anyone who could not was weeded out. I have two uncles, neither of whom had children and were alcoholics - genes weeded out. Count me in - genes weeded out.
I disagree with this. There is no evolutionary advantage to being able to drink huge amounts of alcohol. IMO, the majority of people from any given culture will never consume the amount of alcohol that alcoholics are accustomed to drinking, so drinking should play no part in who is weeded out. You're making it sound like drinking is not a choice at all. Even in cultures where drinking plays an integral part in daily life, people drink moderate amounts. If people who couldn't handle their liquor were at increased risk of alcoholism, then Asian countries would have high alcoholism rates, but they don't. Also, every one becomes at risk for alcohol-related disease if they drink more than 2-3 drinks a day, even if they're not an alcoholic.

Last edited by Eroica; 03-31-2009 at 10:04 PM.