View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by zencat View Post
I thought the long winter nights might have something as a contributor to the alcoholism rate up there...maybe...I don't know.
Well, since you are curious I will share this. The native American Indians have an alcoholism rate which is outstanding. Why? Because they've only had alcohol in their culture for 300 years. The Nordic people have only had it in their grips for 1500 years. Contrast this with those of Mediterranean countries - 7000 years. What this basically means is that the weak genetic links get tossed out. There IS a reason that those of southern European descent can drink and handle alcohol. Anyone who could not was weeded out. I have two uncles, neither of whom had children and were alcoholics - genes weeded out. Count me in - genes weeded out.

The thing I find fascinating are the Asians. For some reason or another, their livers don't process alcohol like so many Westerners do. There is info on the Net, but I can attest to this, having lived among so many of them.

Basically, the strong survive and the weak do not. Hence, Darwinism. At any rate, just the ramblings from Katie here. But there is plenty of stuff out there on the Net to substantiate what I am saying. I've had a vested interest in this whole deal.

Oh, and the long nights and limited sunshine may well have something to do with it. The suicide rate is huge in Scandinavia. Depression abounds. But, who is to say which came first?