Old 03-31-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
I understand.

I guess what I would stress to anyone looking for a contented, meaningful sobriety through any approach is to let go of the resentment.

Like I said, I can't even get by with being bigoted against the bigots in the fundamental churches. They are still pushing their agenda and there isn't anything I can do about it. They are probaly not loosing much sleep over what I think of them.

And they are not the ones who will die of alcoholism.
Aha, I think we may have reached a point of understanding here. You are correct in that letting go of resentment is essential. The difference between AA and churches is there are so many more churches to go to (you can be Catholic, Lutheran, etc, etc and all of those other spinoffs and ways of thinking about religion). For those of us in the secular forum, we only have maybe one or two more churches to go to, if we're lucky (like maybe LifeRing or SMART - and only if you live in the right place will that be an option). Often there are no other churches to go to. Now can you see what we're up against maybe? AA rules in every city, state and on and on.

We need the same help to be sure, but the one AA church rings through and through. What happens when we don't resonate with that church? No one disputes dying. What I do dispute is the lack of alternatives or churches. You can pick and choose, we cannot.