View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Hello, Katie. I still have hope that things will improve and there will be more intensive research to come. The more we speak up to our health care providers the more chance for change. I'm trying hard to be an advocate for my health right now.

I was talking about this with a friend a couple of days ago who is a social worker. She's worked with the mentally ill population for some time and believes that many addicts (not all) should be duel-diagnosed. She said when it comes to mental illness plus addiction, state agencies (social work) across the nation handle this issue in different ways--and of course people hop from one person to the next to get everything treated…it’s a mess.

…I think that once business folk realize how much money could be gained, they'll be all about funding addiction studies.
Thanks, Bam. I know I gave my primary care Dr. this website. He refers people out to AA as a matter of routine, but maybe he'll remember this website. I've also told my shrink about SMART. I do believe we DO need to educate our health care providers. They are, after all, on the front lines. Addiction is something, I am sure, they'd just as soon not to have to deal with. So maybe little by little we can chip away at things and raise levels of awareness.

I do know LifeRing now offers meetings at Kaiser Permanente in the Bay Area in lieu of AA. It IS a start.