View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Cool

meeting makers make it.. .... yes they do; they make............meetings...lol

It's assumed, around AA meetings, that those folks who stop going to meetings, never to return, have gone back to drinking. This is based on the folks who left meetings and returned, tails between their legs, heads bowed, ready to try sobriety again (as their trips back out in the world ended in drinking, and more drinking). Since folks in AA meetings only see others 'in' AA meetings, they have no picture of folks 'outside' meetings, and believe me, there are a whole bunch of them. Unfortunately the folks 'in' the meetings don't see these folks, simply because they're 'in' meetings, and not 'out' where these other (sober) folks are.

Can a person quit AA meetings and remain sober? Sure, it happens all the time. It all depends on how solid a sober foundation a person has. After all, meetings neither get folks sober, nor do they keep folks sober.....I love the line....: it's NOT the meetings we make; it IS the steps we take.

So, HWF, can you quit meetings and stay sober....? I don't know; mebbe yes; mebbe no. In your OP, you said....:

"...I have come to a point where I feel like I don't need AA any more. I have lost I mean completely lost the want or urge to drink. even at social or party situations.
I haven't gone to a meeting in over a week and I don't want to call my sponsor anymore.
I guess my question is. Do I really need to continue those activities that I think are unnecessary. Don't get me wrong I know I needed them in the beginning and without them I would not have 58 days today.
But I feel I am over it..."

If I were you, I might want to look at my motives.....is the only reason that you went to AA in the first place because you wanted to lose the urge to drink....? (for myself, this was one reason, but I wanted more than just abstinence (stopping drinking); I wanted to continue to live alcohol free, and I found lots of suggestions for this in meetings). Why is it that you don’t WANT to call your to call your sponsor anymore? Do you really feel these activities are unnecessary? Well, if that is the case, then by all means.....stop. I’m a firm believer in NOT wasting time on unnecessary things; I did enough of that when I was still active. I guess my question for you might be. Is this all you want? Are you content with what you have. I’m not putting down 58 days, but then again, it is only 58 days of abstinence, and for me, I wanted way more than just abstinence, but then that’s just me.

Well, there you have it.....stay.....go.....it’s all up to you. .....oh, and btw...”...In AA it is a feeling that you must go for ever,...” Yes, there are some in AA who believe that, but I know more folks who got sober in AA, but are not going to meetings any more, than I know folks who are still going to meetings (mainly those are folks who do their ‘giving back’ in meetings, although this is not the only way to carry the message). In fact, there is NOTHING in the AA Program (as outlined on pages 59+60 of the BB) that says a person must go to meetings at all.

I guess that’s all I have to say on the subject. As it says on many of the AA medallions, “To thine own self be true..... (o:

NoelleR