View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 12:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Right, whatever, but I've noticed that the secular gang feel free to drop off their sarcasm and negative comments and leave, on other alcoholism forums.
This is meant as an observation, not a personal attack on anyone. I took the name off the quote. Obviously it's not hard to see where it came from, but this is not a personal statement, so who said it is not important. This is chock full of rhetorical questions, I am writing food for thought. If anyone wants to address a question or issue, feel free but it is not necessary.

Look at the way the above quote is phrased: The "secular gang" does horrible things as a group. I feel like I've been lumped into a marauding pack of atheists. This is a blanket statement and it immediately made me defensive. So I took a deep breath and I thought about it for a few minutes.

I know I have gotten out of line on the boards (heck, I even got a thread locked off once, and I'm still embarrassed about my behavior on that one), but I don't recall dumping a bunch of negativity on a thread then running away. But this statement makes me feel like I am guilty of such a thing. Maybe I am and I didn't even realize it? I try to check up on the threads where I have posted because it's so easy to take things wrong.

So maybe the statement isn't about me? Because, as previously discussed (was it even on this thread, or a different one?), not every statement is about me. Even though I am the center of my own universe, I am apparently not the center of everyone else's... shocking discovery, that. Hard not to take it personally, as I tend to post almost exclusively on SC.

On to the other thing:
If someone enters into the secular post to offer their experience and opinion, they are attacked and chastised for invading their safe zone.
Why is the secular gang up to no good, but only individual 12-steppers? When I have noticed secular peeps on other boards, they seem to be acting as individuals (in both positive and negative interactions), not ganging up on anyone. Besides, if they were ganging up, wouldn't they stick around and help their buddies rather than dump a negative post or two and leave?

Perhaps that's not how the above comments were intended, but that's how I read them. I could have picked apart the rest of the post in a similar manner but I don't believe they were meant to do harm or make anyone mad or defensive. And that's exactly the point: it's hard to know how your comments will be taken. I'm sure I ticked off someone here, though I definitely didn't mean to. So maybe we all need to pay attention to what we say and how we say it, and also not be so quick to get defensive.

Just my thoughts.