Old 03-26-2009, 02:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR first, I would suggest doing as I did and seeing a doctor and being TOTALLY honest about your drinking history and then do as your doctor suggest.

Mine suggested detox which I did, detox suggested at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor, which I did, I continue to go to AA 3 times a week and have been sober and happy about it for over 2 1/2 years.

In a nut shell, see your doctor, be honest, follow the docs advice and once sober get into some sort of LONG term recovery program.

As you have already discovered getting sober is easier then STAYING sober!!!!

Doing it alone is done very rarely.

There are folks here who have stayed sober just using SR as a support system, there are others who use a multitude of long term recovery programs and SR. Just find a long term recovery method and work it, if it does not work or you are really struggling try another until you find one that works for you.

BTW no matter what program/programs you choose, they all take work and unless you work a program honestly you can not say whether it works or not. In reality all (That I know of) programs work for people who WORK the program. none of them work for people who do NOT work them.

My solution was AA, but if AA is not your bag then there are other good programs out there as well.

The secret to staying sober is no matter how many times alcohol may knock you down, if you get back up and do the work you will eventually stay sober.