View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Does anyone have a disabled sibling?

Coming to terms with my drug and alcohol use has opened a whole new world of discovery about factors that I never thought would have influenced my addiction or recovery. One of them is coming to terms with stuff that happened when I was a kid. My sister was in a car accident when I was 13 (she was 15). She never fully recovered from her injuries, which included a traumatic brain injury. My parents basically put on blinders about me, and I more or less raised myself from then on. They need me to be the kid with no problems so they can focus on her, and this attitude persists into our late twenties.

I've also learned that siblings of the disabled have a weird set of issues from that. So, anyone out there have a disabled sibling? There's a forum for "sibs" over on ***** and I find lots of support there, but no one willing to 'fess up to an addiction.

Maybe I'm just looking for a little more commonality here. I have a great set of people who understand addiction, and a great set of people who understand the fun (note dripping sarcasm) of having a disabled sibling, but no one with both of those. Thanks!