Old 03-24-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

Hey, spark. I'm sorry I missed this last night. I originally started this thread to get a variety of opinions on what spirituality means to people, because when I was sort of discussing it in the Spirituality forum.....well.....lets just say I didn't feel welcome. I do find the topic interesting and people really do have a variety of opinions on this.

I was hoping that anyone would post anything they like here and feel safe to do it. I hope you don't leave.

Originally Posted by spark42 View Post
So I think it's right that there should be a movement to try and question and challenge religion and faith. Unfortunately, whilst moderately religious people don't wish to cause harm, the whole idea that faith, and by extension irrational belief, is sacred and not to be challenged, means that fundamentalism is more difficult to tackle at the root.

I agree with this 100%. I don't think anyone should get a free pass for bad and/or irrational behavior that causes harm. What concerns me the most is the "religious right" and similar movements in the U.S. You know, the ones who hate gays, lesbians, transgender/sexual people, bisexuals, pansexuals...you name it. These people have made it clear that people like me don't deserve to have the same rights as everyone else. I obviously don't buy it. I am tired of their bigoted rhetoric. They foster hatred through fear. What these groups have done to influence legislation and to keep hate acceptable in the general public has seriously f*cked with my mind. This is such a touchy subject for me…so much emotion involved. I’m sorry I just went off on a rant like that. This issue is so important to my overall recovery, and I do take this personally.

About organizing a movement…I read somewhere that it's awfully hard to organize atheists because many are very independent. I’m not sure what to do about that.

Take it easy, spark.