View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BohemiMamaof3

From one of the stickies: 4) Don’t analyze the loved one’s drinking or drug use. Don’t try to figure it out or look for underlying causes.
There are no underlying causes. Addiction is a disease. Looking for underlying causes is a waste of time and energy and usually ends up with some type of blame focused on the family or others . This “paralysis by analysis” is a common manipulation by the disease of addiction which distracts everyone from the important issue of the illness itself.

I just re-read one of the stickies and saw the above and was thinking of how it relates to my original post on this thread. I guess it's somewhat good and helpful to know what exactly we're dealing with. But in the end, there's so much sickness going on with ABro's addiction, what does it really matter if there's addiction AND a personality disorder. Since he's a grown man, and we are not involved with his treatment or decisions, there isn't much we can do, besides the protecting of ourselves and our boundaries that we are already doing.