View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Callie

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
IMO, I wouldn’t use the word sick, children can’t distinguish between being mentally sick and physically sick. And, I’ve seen where they get angry at mommy or scared that mommy won’t take care of them if they become sick. Sick to a child is throwing up, having the poops, coughing, sneezing, stuffy nose. And, mommy needs to be there to take care of them, but nobody is taking care of poor daddy. And, I’d stay away from the word medicine, daddy doesn’t take bad medicine, cause then they will be afraid of taking needed medicine.

I fully agree with this. I didn't want my kids thinking that mommy would abandon them or kick them out if they got a cold or an earache or the flu. I'd spoken with a child psychologist about this. Her thoughts were to tell them he's "sick" but when I disagreed with that theory she fully understood why I chose not to use it. I also agree with Freedom in that "he can't help it" wasn't good wording for me to use, because he can. He has a choice to get help or not.

Just my 2cents. I struggled for a LONG time with what to tell them. I think the most important thing is that they know they are loved by BOTH parents, that none of this is their fault and to not badmouth him as hard as it is. You did a great job! It's so important to keep the lines of communications as well. You're missed around here HK!