View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

I need to resurrect this thread. Because late last year, before I managed to give up my drugs, BF and I were short on money. Everyone knows textbooks aren't cheap, and we stole $180 textbook from a friend and sold it for drug money. It was a team effort. I have repeatedly told this friend I have no idea what happened to his textbook, and he eventually dropped the subject but I am 90% certain he still thinks I know what happened to it. Though he thinks I know BF stole it, not that I actually helped.

So... how to properly make this one up to him? Friend and BF are still buddies, so if I tell him the whole story that will likely put a dent in their friendship. On the other hand, he seemed fairly certain BF stole the book anyway and they still hang out. Friend says all sorts of crap about me anyway and our friendship is a bit shaky so telling him about it will either put the nail in the coffin or improve things a bit. I'm not sure which I would prefer, honestly. And then there's the issue of paying him back. Do I owe him the full amount for the book? Half of it? I feel like (now ex) BF should pay for half, but I know he never will. But... maybe that isn't my problem?

Other issue: Friend is addicted to alcohol and painkillers. I have not seen him sober in months, and I don't want to issue such an apology when he's drunk/high. He likely wouldn't remember it the next day anyway, and he would wonder where the money came from but certainly wouldn't say anything about it.