View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

Welcome to SR!

I'm a recovering crack addict. I can't use "occasionally"...not for long, anyway. I do know of people who have done it, though they were addicted to something else, usually pills.

I abused pills, but didn't get "addicted"...put them down, didn't crave them, had no withdrawals, etc. Crack, if I use it once, it will stay on my mind, and will be all I think about, until I get some more. The people I know who are addicted to pills are the exact opposite...they want the pills, can use the crack "occasionally", but they are really wanting more pills.

Then, of course, there are addicts who just want MORE of whatever there is.

As people have pointed out, it really isn't so much as what he's using, but how it is affecting YOU. Having an addict in your life is a HUGE stressor and with you being on a transplant list, this is a stress you just don't need, sweetie. None of us need it (I'm a codependent, too, and left my bf who is still smoking crack), but your health needs, right now, demand that you take care of you.

I'm glad you're here. There are some wonderful people here, and a ton of support.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy