Old 03-19-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by spark42 View Post

Irrational belief systems, ie religion - i don't think anyone has to have one. Then again i'm an atheist so i would say that!
I've been wanting to ask an atheist this for a long time!!!!! I'm so excited now. And I'm not just arguing or being a snot (I'm often guilty on both counts, but not this time).

I'm agnostic. I don't see evidence that there is god/gods, but I also don't see evidence that there isn't. In Bill Maher's words, "I preach the gospel of 'I don't know.'"

So, as an atheist, what sort of evidence do you use for your belief (or lack of it, whichever you would like to use)? I see religion and atheism as equally irrational because I don't see evidence either way. We can neither prove nor disprove the existence of god, so believing there is no god is as much a system of faith as believing there is one, and that forces me to shrug and say "IDK."

I really am looking forward to your answer, not attacking you. I've never had the opportunity to ask an atheist this particular question. Thanks!

Last edited by gneiss; 03-19-2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Can't type.