Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
jimhere

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
I can't tell you how many AA meetings I've walked out of only to head for the wine aisle. Why is AA this sacred cow that no one is allowed to disagree with? I quit smoking yesterday and after being told I was expected to go to these meetings the first thing I wanted was a cigarette. In fact, I might just walk to the store and buy some now as I am so angry. I don't want AA shoved down my throat by anyone. I don't want it. I went to my first meeting 32 freaking years ago. It's not for me. I am tired of people in AA constantly coming back at me with stuff like, it doesn't work if you don't work it and the other gazillion cliches. And the fact I can't even post in the secular forum without AAers coming in and attacking me REALLY irks me! Not you...I don't mean you. On this note, I am going to find the nearest store and light up a smoke.

To me, as an AA member, it doesn't matter if you disagree with AA. That is not my business and it is not my business to persuade you to believe otherwise.

What I really see Katie is someone needing something or somebody to blame. Like I blamed my dad for my whole life. I blamed him for my drinking, my screwed-up attitude, you knew name it. It was "If my dad had been a better dad and stayed around, maybe I wouldn't have turned out the way I did." Anything to avoid taking responsibility for my own life, my own actions, my own recovery. I don't know much about methods other than the twelve-step approach, but I do know that any method, be it spiritual, secular, psychiatric, etc. requires that suffer take responsibility and participate in his/her own recovery.

Instead you come on here and complain like a spoiled kid that isn't getting her way. Some here will induldge you and some are getting tired of it. You inflict your f**k you attitude on us. "I'm going to go pout and break the rules. I'm gonna have a smoke. So there! I'll show you!"

Either drink or don't. But don't blame anyone else.