View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Puddy

quote: Just one question, though, if you don't mind...
I've never met an old active junkie; Have you?
See, my son's life depends upon things that others say to him -- even well meaning people.
I'd prefer that a doctor tell him medical information.
It's *his* life at stake.

Very true. I did not tell anyone not to take benzos. I told them they almost killed me dead, and not to call yourself sober if you are on them. Let me give you the nutshell story:

I was 1 1/2 years sober in 2003. I developed severe insomnia and could not stop checking the stove, the car doors, etc at night. I was going crazy.

I went to a psychiatrist, who told me I had OCD, and to take Lexapro and Triazolam for the rest of my life, most likely.

Everything went fine for 5 years. I too said I was sober, and was very quick to anger at those who might suggest otherwise.

Then the drugs stopped working, and turned against me (as all drugs will do eventually).
I couldn't even taper off, had to jump off, was not told not to do that by the good Dr. He just said, "we have to take you off these. Here. Take Lunesta. It's a nonbenzodiazepine".

I became even more suicidal. I had to jump off that med. Nothing worked anymore. I had to be taken out of my apt on a stretcher when I couldn't even keep water down for 7 days.

They took me to a hospital, where they pumped me full of Clonidine (another benzo). Discharged me, and left me to do it all over again.

It is now 7 months later. I still get toxic rushes of suicidal ideation and severe anxiety.

I treat this severe suicidal ideation and severe anxiety with yoga, long walks, deep breathing, and vigorous stepwork and sponsorship.

I no longer need any med.

I know for a fact severe anxiety and depression is treatable with Kundalini Yoga and a strong AA program. Without these, I would be very dead.

I know for a fact that the benzos will stop working one day and you will be in a world of hell.

Google Ashton Manual and read it.

Thanks, but I am trying to save lives here. I wish you all happiness, healthiness, and above all, true sobriety.