View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Eroica View Post
At one point in every show, they go back to the addicts childhood and pretty much imply that some disastrous event set off the addiction. But a person doesnt need to have a bad childhood or experience to become addicted.
I noticed that too, and it has always been weird for me. I've had some difficult stuff to deal with (that's life, after all), but it was ancient history by the time I started drinking. I just couldn't think of anything better to do. Even when I started taking drugs I did not have an excuse other than being drunk and a little bored and having drugs available. And if I had not had a pretty disastrous event shortly after I started doing meth, I don't think things would have changed much. I would have kept doing drugs out of boredom, basically. The disastrous event in question changed my mental focus from boredom to escapism, but it did not really change anything functionally about the amount of drugs I took.

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
My favorite is Allison the Huffer girl. Dang, what a train wreck. Wonder what ever happened to her??
They have an update about her on the website but I can't remember what they said except that she made it through rehab and I specifically remember her saying she was planning on "working her program" when she was out of the rehab facility. She really was a train wreck.