View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

An interesting statistic that ties into this subject

Bipolar disorder increases the risk for substance abuse and addiction: 60 to 80 percent of people with bipolar disorder will sufferer from alcoholism or drug abuse during their lives.

Overall, the death rate is higher in people with bipolar disorder, especially those receiving insufficient treatment.

I am an alcoholic but I do have to question how much of my alcoholism is directly related to the untreated bipolar disease. Was I unconsciously self medicating my bipolar disease during my 20 years of active alcoholism? I have not had the obsession or craving to drink since I have been treated for my bipolar disease which includes medications for anxiety. I may never know, and honestly do not care to know, which came first the alcoholism or the bipolar. What I do know is that I am going to continue to treat the chemical imbalance in my brain and body with medications rather than chance winding up in active alcoholism again.

I have to remind myself that "what people think of me is none of my business". Sometimes that is hard to remember and leaves me feeling I need to justify myself to someone I do not even know. Part of the program of AA is the realization that I do not have to worry about others opinions of me or my sobriety. I have to be true and honest with myself and my Higher Power and as long as I am doing that I will be fine.