View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
digderidoo

I can relate to this. The first few months was really hard in trying to find something that filled the gap that alcohol filled. All of my friends drank, all of my friends partied. It takes time to get a new social circle, some of the friends or aquaintances dropped off, a couple of the real friends are still around, but they respect the fact that i don't drink.

For me it was all about replacing the alcohol scene with a new scene, so i took up scuba diving. This is something i love and in time made new friends whose interests weren't geared around alcohol.

Funny thing is i used to think that everyone drank, to my surprise not everyone does. Like minded people attract like minded people.

AA was a good start for me in meeting new people, choosing a hobby was the next good thing for me. Now 15 months on from when i decided to stop drinking i have a totally new social circle that i enjoy without drink, but at the beginning i never thought it was possible.

My heart goes out to you because i know exactly where you are coming from, my advice would be to work hard at finding new friends, it does take both patience and time but will happen if you work at it.

Paul