Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
I apologize if I misinterpreted this post, but this came from a thread titled "Second guessing my choice of rehab facility". I thought matters were clearly defined in your words above, Katie. Now, you claim knowing nothing about it including 12 step recovery. I find that confusing if not denial. You had a choice between the two and the place that included 12 step was chosen. I guess only you know why it was chosen and as to why you act surprised and deceived.

Now I would like to talk about enabling. Enabling will never help anyone. It will only help keep someone in their illness. It may even help lead them straight to their grave. Others can perceive it as nasty, I perceive it as quite the opposite. Sometimes it takes some recovery time to be able to interpret between enabling and real life experience. I know all about deceit and denial. The two combined with alcoholism are deadly. Not being able to recognize things for what they truly are, I chalk up to inexperience or ignorance.

Now, I know that people tend to not like the word ignorance. I know I didn't until I grew to understand the meaning of it. It isn't meant to be insulting. It simply means not knowing any better or having the experience to being informed, being unaware. You can't know what you don't know. There comes a time when we have to quit blaming everyone else, or in the case, every treatment center that you've encountered as being at fault and take a good look to see how you have contributed or haven't. There in may lie the problem or the solution. It is truly up to you, Katie. You hold the key. You always have, but it appears you keep sabotaging your efforts, which is very common. Try to break away from that.

My intentions are to help only, not hound or give you a hard time. As always, I wish you nothing but the best and success. At the rate you are going, I recognize the behavior of alcoholism that will keep you in your disease. Yes, my wish is to break through the denial and get you into a place of a new way of thinking. That is the only way you can get past this. History will continue to repeat itself if you keep making the same efforts. Time to break out of your comfort zone and try, try, again. However, you have to find some willingness. Problems seemed to arise the moment you arrived to treatment. Tolerance, patience and an open mind work wonders in situations where you feel uncomfortable in your environment. Good luck.
The rehab told me 10 - 15 % was AA. OK. I wish I could share the schedule with you, but it far exceeds 10 -15%. Additionally, I took pics of the place where I was and, in contrast to the brochure, it's nothing like where I was and I am prepared to fight a legal battle based on misrepresentation. They even got the city wrong - I'll fly to CA if I have to in order to appear in court. I hate people ripping me off. It's the principle of the matter. My friend might be willing to give depositions and appear in count or serve as a proxy. I realize the venue is in that city, so it is going to be tricky.

My friend said he wouldn't stay there overnight. His wife said it was depressing. Sorry, but I won't pay $433 a day for worthless treatment, but I do appreciate your post. BTW, not in denial here. I know I only have a few years left if I don't get it together. I just don't use labels. Thank you for your post.

ETA: I went to my first AA meeting in 1977. My friend went to his first meeting in 1961. His advice to me is to not forget the Big Book, but to forget the machine that AA has become.

Last edited by Katie09; 03-15-2009 at 02:16 AM.