Old 03-14-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
Thanks for the link. Looks pretty good. The only thing that makes me quite nervous is that they have 12 step meetings onsite. I don't want anything to do with the 12 steps, and especially after this experience.

There was another rehab but I forget what it's called in Malibu. The psychiatrist is an atheist and they are not 12 step at all.
Passages?

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
I do fully believe that there is a hustle that goes on with rehabs and it absolutely disgusts me. I read part of that book (the first chapter that you can download for free) Alcoholism and the Addiction Cure which made me want to puke since it was one long advertisement for their treatment center.
That is Passages. The book is about their rehab center so it makes sense. The middle four excerpts do not deal with the rehab though, and with their belief system.

I don't know much about them except its the current place for movie stars to go to get clean and they are anti-AA.

The thing about Passages and all of those Malibu centers is that there have been some big questions raised. In fact, there was a large article in the LA Times about them and all the Malibu rehabs.
The trouble with rehab, Malibu-style - Lawsuits and violations reveal problems in a luxury cottage industry for the addicted. - Los Angeles Times
Cynthia Moreno Tuohy, executive director of NAADAC, the Assn. for Addiction Professionals, said such no-money-back rules are an exception and "a shame."
Among the other Malibu rehab centers with no-refund policies are Renaissance, whose website features a testimonial by actor Daniel Baldwin, and Passages, which counts fashion designer Marc Jacobs among its graduates.

"If you leave, your money stays," said Passages co-founder Chris Prentiss, who added that the center immediately resells the vacated bed -- the monthly cost is $67,550 -- and that returning patients must wait for the next opening. Their payment stays on account, he said.

In the last six years, Prentiss said, only seven patients have departed early and failed to complete treatment later.

In 2005, the state cited Passages for exceeding its patient capacity. The center complied with a corrective order, Fisher said.
Prentiss says his center eliminates dependencies by treating their underlying causes -- depression and anxiety, for example -- through intensive one-on-one therapy. Passages also disdains Alcoholics Anonymous' 12-step program, which Promises and other Malibu centers have adopted or adapted.