Old 03-14-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
kurtrambis

It must be really frustrating for people in US a great country in many respects (like leading the world with cancer treatment) that it's so dominated by 12 step treatment.
Think if I lived in the US I would feel so isolated and confused my alcoholism would potentially be exasperated.
The masses of inpatient 12 step treatment facilities with its very limited effectiveness is a weakness of capitalism.
Did read somewhere about naltrexone treatment (proven effective treatment for alcoholism although by know means a magic bullet for everybody suffering alcoholism unlike AA claims to be lol).
The person who devised the treatment presented a lecture to 1 rehab and their response, which sums it up in my opinion, well yeah it works but what about our jobs. Ashame about your jobs I agree but what about alcoholics lives eh.
I think deep down addicts have less human rights as we are all still perceived as bad people. Which the big book reinforces.
I'm a good person with an addiction problem and not a self centred egotistical psychopath like the big book likes to say (Bill W might have been but I'm certainly not).
I will admit I think its admirable that some people in AA admit they have same traits as mentioned above and try to work on them but not are alcoholics are the same and putting them in the same pigeon hole is dangerous in my opinion.