View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
marle

My daughter recently got a summons from a credit card that she defaulted on. I did a lot of reading about it on the internet to see what could happen and how best to handle it. The number one piece of advice was to answer the summons because if she did not then she would have a default judgement entered against her and they could garnish her paycheck. So she answered the summons and then she called the creditor and made a settlement. Her bill was originally for $1000 when it went into collections. The credit card company wrote it off as a bad debt but continued to add interest and late fees which brought the total up to over $2000. She settled for $1840. The lawyers handling it for Capitol One said that they would send the settlement papers out on Tuesday of this week. Two more calls from my daughter to them and they keep saying the papers are in the mail. She has until the 18th to pay them but won't until she has that settlement offer in writing. So I really feel for you on this one. There need to be more laws to protect people who are innocent like you are Rita.

Did your ex sign for the summons because they had to have sent you a summons. My daughter had to sign for hers. If your husband signed for yours without your permission, you may have a case there. So basically they sued your husband, he did not appear in court, they got a judgement against him, he is not paying and so they went back to court to garnish your wages, all without your knowledge. I do believe that you have a case there and can probably get the amount reduced. Hugs and prayers, Marle