View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sunflowers

Inlaws and Outlaws

My Sister's husband's mother called today to ask about the kids. I explained that we're all doing just fine. I needed to talk to her anyways because she had asked to come visit this summer, but after reading the protective custody order for the children I was hesitant about her visiting. According to the PCO she was aware of the meth cooking in the house, and she herself uses marijuana. I told her that I didn't know her, but that I needed to know if she was still using. Before I allow her to visit the children I have to know that she is clean.
She went on a long tirade about how HER son would have NEVER said those things about her, and she had had no idea of any such thing. Apparently DCS is a bunch of liars, and will concoct stories to take children away from their parents and "get their way". It was an exhausting conversation. I explained to her that her son and my sister had decided to surrender their parental rights, but in his latest letter he had mentioned that he didn't want his rights terminated and looked forward to the day he got his kids back.
It honestly seems like I'm dealing with Cleopatra and King Tut here, and they are both floating up the river called denial. It was so hard to be nice, and not give in to the side of me that just wanted to slash, tear, and maim. All three children have respiratory problems, and I mentioned it to her when she called. I got treated to a high drama rendition of "I just had NO idea!"

I've only had the children a week, and I've seen the high side and low side of how this has affected them. It's agonizing to sit awake and listen to the baby monitor as a child wheezes and gasps, just waiting in case it gets bad enough we have to have a 0300 emergency room visit.

I know I can't control her reaction, and I know that she should probably read the codie commando codex, but until she admits to her own problems I can't even begin to suggest it. Thanks for listening to me babble yet again. I'm exhausted. Going to stumble off to bed and wait for the first hacking distressed breathing noise to come from the nursery. I've got a hot steamy shower with their name written all over it.