Thread: Love Lost
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Lost83
My husband is an addict

SoCopasetic,

I sit here with tears in my eyes as I read your post. I went through a very similar situation directly after graduating high school with my best friend. She had a similar family background to your daughters BF and also used pills to escape. She was brilliant, worked full time, attended college full time directly after graduating HS. She had a very promising future but the pills got her and I was the recipient of the news in a similar fashion. She had moved out and in with her step dad 2 weeks prior to her passing and I came home one night with 10 incoherent messages from her on my machine, I tried to reach her but her step dad said she was sleeping. The next morning I called her step dad to tell him she needed help and he said it was too late. That was by far the most difficult death I have ever dealt with. I've lost my mother, father, grandmother and numerous in laws but nothing compares to losing a friend at such a young age (in my opinion). The grieving process was so slow for me especially because her room was still set up nad had the majority of her possessions in it. I didn't seek professional help after that and I deeply regret it as I had nightmares for years and blamed myself even though I knew it was not my fault, deep down, I felt like I could have prevented it although I would never admit that.

Now as a 25 year old Mom dealing with my husbands addiction I have sought help, I personally like the NA meetings that I attend with my husband. I try to educate myself about addiction so that I can better understand where the addict in my life is or was coming from. I also think catlovermi has some great suggestions. This is her senior year in HS and although it is going to be difficult, she will get through this.

I am very sorry for your loss and I send big hugs your way for you and your daughter. :ghug3 It is very sad when drugs claim the life of someone we know had so much potential.