View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
change4penny

Hi Kelly...Wow, can I relate to your story! I'm a recovering opiate/cocaine addicit, 166 days clean. I became addicted to painpills after an accident more than 10 years ago. Before checking into rehab this past September, I was taking 30, 10mg hydro-or-oxycodones per day...doing coke when I couldn't get the pills to help with the withdrawls...then doing coke WITH the pills...I'm lucky to be alive after that combo!
While in rehab, they started me on Suboxone...two tiny pills a day. At first, I doubted that these two little pills could ever help me because I was so sick from the withdrawls. But I was wrong...after taking the first dose, I began feeling better. It took away the withdrawl symptoms plus, I have no cravings for opiates.
After being released from rehab, I found a doctor who prescribes Suboxone and see him once a month to be monitered while taking it. My personal goal is to stop the Sub. within a year...although, some have to stay on it longer, some less, It just depends on the severity and length of your addiction.
For me, this medication has been a miracle! I had tried many times to quit the pills, only to relapse because I could not handle the withdrawls. I never thought I'd be able to stop. But, let me also say...the sub. alone will not work. You need to work a program...for me, thats NA. You need that support! Between NA, and this board, I find that I'm not alone in this disease and it really helps to hear stories of hope and to share my own. Keep posting!
Good Luck...You're in my prayers! :praying