View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
jeepgirl

Well, I am impressed by the fact that she did come clean about her addiction... eventually. It does sound as if she has a long way to go. Perhaps she might consider a meeting night that you could both go to. There are sometimes meetings that have naranon and na at the same time (separate rooms). You will both learn so much, and the support would be for both of you. The addict in my life is my daughter. We would have regular nights where I would drive her to a meeting, and go on to a nearby meeting for myself. This way we got to talk on the ride both ways. This was earlier in her recovery. We also attend a spirituality group together.

There is a lot of shame in addiction. It took courage for her to tell you. Perhaps there is hope here. My daughter did the whole ten yards, in-patient, out-patient, suboxone, methadone, probation. Coming this June she will be sober two years. She is also 23. A really good sponsor - hard to find, and nightly meetings (she goes 28 out of 30 days a month) brought her to this day.

If she balks too much about the meetings, I would wonder about her commitment to sobriety.