View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
amirose

Hi Kelly, It's so great that you are on here reaching out, and admitting that you have a problem is huge! It took me years to admit I was an addict (at age 32) and I had started abusing painkillers as a teenager. Like you, I obtained them with prescriptions. I manipulated many doctors (including my father) and used legitimate medical conditions to get LOTS of opiates. I was so ashamed for so long, which only kept me going back to the pills even more. Finally after it got totally UNMANAGEABLE I couldn't keep up the facade of being a wife and mother anymore and I WANTED OUT...what a relief to admit defeat and get help. After being alone in my head for years, I went to treatment where doctors helped me detox, and I could start learning about this disease. Looking back, I think I should have stayed even longer than 30 days. If you can get medical help to detox, it is so helpful. The idea of telling someone I had a problem was 100X worse than actually telling them...my doctors,husband,family...were all compassionate. I actually just admitted to my psychiatrist and she called my husband, then I talked to him, he called my family and so on. So i really only had to get those words out of my mouth one time! Sorry I just wrote a book, but I can really relate so much to your post! Keep coming on here and let us know how you are doing...