View Single Post
Old 04-29-2004, 06:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
McKrazy

Re: Is he or isn't he?

Hey Belle,
My H is a well-respected firefighter and has never let it interfere with his work. But the progression is very real none-the-less and I could see it someday winding its way there,too. But how it became unmanageable for me was the verbal attacking and the blaming his problems, and therefore his drinking, on everyone but himself. Blackouts began and skipping out on responsibilities that he could, whenever he could, began. His kids know not to ask dad about future anything, because we never know "where he'll be". We do most things without him, or he's a last minute addition to our outings because he's sober and willing. The straw was driving with my 11 year old and a friend while drunk (firefighter!!!!) and took them to soccer practice, coached them, and brought them home. I think what you'll learn most in here is that we all have our differing tolerances for our alcoholics and what we can and cannot live with. We don't judge or advise anyone what to do in their situation until/unless it's a danger for them or their families. It sounds like you may be recognizing a pattern already, though in that this may be the second alcoholic you've had a relationship with. Read through posts and find that to be an all too-common reality. There's often something in US that brings the "arrows" to the "targets" and we feed off eachothers' sicknesses. I pray for your own health and wisdom to do what's best for you and that you can feel peace with whatever you decide! Hang in there!