View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 08:40 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
TryingSoHard
I'm just a little unwell

Thanks, LaDita. I actually tried to quit a year ago - lots of things happened in a very short time span that really, really hurt my feelings and belittled my position there. My boss (the owner) understood my point but didn't want me to quit, so he basically begged me to stay on one day a week to do inventory, to stay involved, and to be available for consulting and special projects. I agreed. Then, last summer, my role started picking back up a bit. I got encouraged. My youngest child started school in August and all along I had told my boss that if we could just hang in there until then, I could work as much as he wanted me to because I'd have my days free.

Instead his daughter quit her full-time, 6-figure job and took over his business.

That left me with my 1-day-a-week job of doing inventory. Every week I tell them I'm available if they need help, and every week they blow me off. They've even hired 2 new people in the last month - instead of asking me if I want more hours (which they know for a fact I do). And now this moving thing.

Part of me wants to just quit and break ties and be done with it because, like you said, it's just not worth it emotionally. The other part of me says no, if you can keep getting SOME money every two weeks it's better than NO money, and if I hang in there then eventually maybe it will be worth my while again.

I'm so torn because, for me, this really was my dream job and until it came along I never even knew it existed. It opened up a whole new world for me and I'm reluctant to walk away completely. It's the first job I've ever had in my life just because I WANTED it, not because I NEEDED it, and also the first job I've ever had that related to something I WANT to do (hobby) instead of what I'm SUPPOSED to do (career). I suppose that's also why it hurts so much when I get snubbed repeatedly, especially since I was such an integral part of getting the business where it is now.