View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KindBird

Can't say I have had religious envy.. but I do relate to some of what you are saying about people who seem to have some peace or happiness that is really essential in them (though in my experience I don't relate this to having a religion).

I had a very Catholic childhood, and gave that all up as soon as I had free choice, but I do find that I still take solace in the feeling of something like surrender or letting go of control.. When I was a kid it was to a God, but as an adult it is just to "whatever" - the universe, this community.. I don't know what.

I am not religious at all now .. not in AA - but can't do without some sense of what might be called spiritual - or non-tangible... I don't really have a word for it.. I do practice meditation (a relaxed zen form) and try for regular moments of quiet reflection.. and read poetry when I feel a need to get connected a bit more..

I really think the greatest "practice" for me is just really being present and doing what I am doing at the moment with as much respect and attention as I can - whether it is doing my work, cooking, cleaning, driving, whatever.. This sobriety stuff has been an unexpected gift in this way because I feel so much more present - sometimes almost scary how much more present sobriety makes us..

thanks for this thread..