View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 12:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NAP

My boss is being a nightmare...

I've got 2 months sobriety (yay!!) but wanted to ask if anyone else has had troubles at work, and how they go about announcing if at all, their sobriety. It can be a tricky situation as I think the word "alcoholic" could stay with you (and your unspoken CV) alot longer than one thinks.

I've told my boss I've quit drinking for 6-12 months to "clean out" and he has been the most difficult person in my life so far, for handling the news. He's a big drinker but doesn't seem to have the same problems as me (ie. he can handle his drink, I think). Every Monday he asks me if I drank on the weekend; I say no and he guffaws and shakes his head. I was at drinks (drinking water) on Friday and he asked me a rhetorical question about if Dom Perignon was in front of me what would I do? Then he guffaws again, like I've got 2 heads! We are starting not to chat as much or get along so well.

Of course I don't want to tell him I've got problems drinking (or stopping, rather) - he's my boss!! I've even told him that the most difficult part so far has been other people and then I mentioned he's been the worst. He stopped for a while after that but he's started up again.

Aside from this, he is hands down one of the nicest people I know, so I don't quite know how to handle this. Any suggestions?