View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Ananda

actually i think labels are absolutely necessary or we would all go insane. i mean all words are labels try to talk without using the label female or male or the label blond or brunette....those are simplistic ones but they work for understanding it.

The human mind can deal with sooooo much data from our environment and part of how it does this effectively is by some amount of pre-judgementl, classification and labeling...the problem isn't for me that i put people and things in boxes to sort the mess...it's when i won't let them out of the boxes or resort them as i go along

how words and labels come to mean things within a particular group of people is very interesting to me...converstaions have a history that if you are unaware of will often make the communication you walk in on make no sense.

Thats why I try real hard to listen beyond the words, labels etc. that people use to hear what they are saying. I don't do well atthe intelctual word smithing that many seem to have a great handle on.....but i think i do pretty well at hearing beyond the words.....hope you all have patients with my lack of word skill Not sure this is the right place to post this, but some how labels and things like the term "dry drunk" makes me think of this stuff...I have used the term "dry drunk" in a variety of ways over the years...I tend to avoid using it anymore as it has developed into a word that has huge conotations and emotional content....and basically tends to harm conversations rather than help to communicate.

thanks