Old 02-27-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
doorknob
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Roadhunter View Post
I found this part of the intro to the study interesting "Religiosity, however,
is strongly and positively related with psychopathology, which
we reasoned would be negatively related to AA affiliation."

So, the premise is that those who are more religious are more likely to have mental illnesses. Personally, I would go so far as to say that many religions are manifestations of mental abnormalities. Some religions were created by mentally ill people, and many religions prey on people with mental issues to this day. I'm just surprised to see it stated as fact in this paper, and I think that in so stating this, the authors show bias from the beginning.
This also seems to mess with the conclusion of the study. The way I interpret it, AA works more for those who are religious, yet works less for those who have mental issues, and those people who are more religious are more likely to be the ones with mental issues. Seems like the two "conditions" (religiousity and pyschopathology) should cancel each-other out to a certain extent as they pertain to success in AA.
Please correct me if I'm wrong in my assumptions. No offense will be taken at any answer from which I might learn.
Although there is a positive correlation between religiousity and mental illness, there are still those who are one but not the other. Those are the individuals who were chosen for the study. I could have been one of the subjects in the 'Mismatched' group; not religious, but plenty of psychopathology.