Old 02-22-2009, 09:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SugarScars
Live it

Originally Posted by LaDita View Post
Wow, I don't think you could have put it better there.

I've been on disability for the last three years, and a very big chunk of that time was spent drinking or recovering from a hangover. It's a fact that would have tax payers fuming over, but sadly, that seems to be the fate of alot of people on disability. Disability can be a boring, frustrating way of life but for some it can be a nice 'pause' before they get back on their feet.
I guess I'm kind of in this 'What Now?' phase and I'm confused. Part of me says "It's time to get on with your life now", but part of me doesn't know how or if I am ready, or what I should be doing with myself.

This wednesday I'm going to a workshop for low-income, disadvantaged women who want to start their own business. I'm really excited, and I hope I have the follow through enough to make it work out.
I often give up too easily or let petty things bother me.
Anyway, I'm rambling but I wanted to respond to your post.

Thank you!
:ghug3
LaDita,

It is human nature to want to be a part of society, and to want to be USEFUL. I can relate to your story in that when I was not working or in school, I was using drugs and hating myself. In retrospect, I see that this is because it's NOT natural to not work and be a part of our society. We are only truly happy with ourselves and FULFILLED when we are a part of something larger than ourselves.

I suggest that you look into vocational rehabilitation. Google this term, plus the name of your city, or call your local hospital and/or university to find out what avenues you should take to get an evaluation.

Through voc rehab, you can decipher your strengths, and receive job placement. You can also receive "work hardening", professional development courses, classes, and other beneficial stuff - I don't know, but the professionals will. It's a great process for people who want to work, but just aren't sure/can't find a job.

Right now is a bad time to be out of work. Voc rehab can help you get back on your feet.

Good luck!