Old 02-21-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
frances2

advice needed

I realize thist post is years old but I came across it and wanted to ask about this part...."Help must come fast for the late-stage alcoholic, but it must be the right kind of help. With effective intervention and treatment, even the most advanced, deathly ill alcoholic may recover. The human organism has extrordinary abilities to restore or compensate for damaged tissues. The surviving cells and regenerate, poisons can be flushed out, and the body can begin the slow process of healing itself. Most alcoholics now sober were once considered "hopeless" by the people close to them."

My question is HOW to help? What is the right kind of help? We are in a state of extreme frustration dealing with an elderly alcoholic and she is most definitely late stage and suffers tremendously and is no longer living a true life and it is painfully sad yet we don't know what we can do. As this same post exceprt said, this person has become isolated from friends and relatives. We want to help, but feel, and believe we are, powerless to help. What can we do? If there is something, we will do it!