View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
silkspin

Hi LizzieBee, I went through the same thing. My AH was a weekend binge drinker, and he'd tell me he'd curb it, that he knows it's causing problems, made all sorts of promises that he couldn't keep. And when I was pregnant the same cycle happened, and while he was out I'd worry and ruminate and all I really did was hurt me and the baby with all of my anxiety. I didn't start al anon until my girl was 10 months and although I tried to detach, it was difficult to understand how to do it. I felt like I was condoning his behaviour by not saying anything. Anyhow, then THAT became a new cycle. He's start drinking. I'd detach and say, go to bed. He'd continue drinking, be a hungover mess in the morning, then feel guilty and bad over what he had done, I'd act a bit aloof and continue with my day, then after a few days things would kind of go back to normal day to day stuff. Rinse. Repeat next weekend. I finally had enough and told him we needed to separate. Nothing changes if nothing changes. Detachment helped me feel less anxious and obsessive about what he was doing and helped me focus on me and my feelings, but didn't do much to change my situation. I had to actively make a change. We're in the same house for now but in separate bedrooms and he hasn't drank since. It's tough when you need support as you do - are there family members or friends you can count on?