View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Music man
uʍop ǝpısdn

Friendships & the alcoholic life

As with being alcoholic for so long, you have designed your life around alcoholics. The friends you have, the places you hang out, the language you use. The dreams you have. Even the food you eat.

It is tough to get sober when your whole life in interweived in to the life of an alcoholic. Not only are you giving up the alcohol, but you're essentially giving up your life and the way it is .
To walk away from the alcohol means to walk away from the friends you have, or try and convert them to AA which definitely means a broken friendship. It also means having to redesign your own life and fill in the void which alcohol so conveniently filled.

A strange person walked into my work today and called himself a yogi. The guy was from India. He sat with me for 3 min and explained my life exactly, he continued to tell me that I was losing certain relationships that I felt were important to me, but weren't. He told me of the fork in the road I was at, and I could freely choose any way to go. One way was certain success and the other wasn't. This guy talked with a few of my co-workers and told them all about themselves and their life.
In the end he did ask for a donation and every one wondered how he knew everything he knew, all I know is, I needed a little push into the path of success and it came. I can't argue with a Yogi.