Old 02-19-2009, 09:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Linkmeister

Originally Posted by hopeangel View Post
after talking to family i think i am going to have to let the apartment go until i have something holding him financially responsible first.

my brother says that the first thing i need to do is get a legal seperation although still living together until the house sells. that way it is in writing legally what he is responsible to pay and what i am responsible to pay.

is this even possible? the attorney at work is telling me no. i will ask another one, but just wondered if anyone had experience in this area?
Been there, done that. Hellish, but legal if he is a part owner of your house.

I know each state differs in their laws - I happen to live in Canada and faced a similar situation with my soon to be ex (non alcoholic, but emotional tyrant). First thing I did was get to my lawyer and find out it was legal-it was for him to live in our house as long as we co-owned it.

The trick was to be "living separate and apart" - the "apart" being not sharing a bed. He took over my loft and basically sponged off of me till he found another place and took his sweet time to sign an agreement after demanding stuff I had bought when he moved out previously.

The agreement released his interest in the house, gave him money he didn't deserve, but legally entitled to, but once those papers were signed, he was gone and was worth every penny to get him out of my life. It took three months and a lot of hell as the legal system works slow as molasses but when all of the papers were signed, it was my pleasure to shut the door behind him and ask for the keys to the house.

Check with several lawyers about this and see where you stand.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck with this.