Old 02-18-2009, 11:19 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

This is TOTALLY nerdy but it was probably the best I have felt since I quit.

First, one of my old drug buddies (one who is unusually manipulative and I actually kinda *liked* so it was even easier for him to manipulate me) called me and asked if I wanted to party. I said no thanks, and he got pretty mean and, lo and behold, manipulative. I didn't let it work though. I hung up on him and called another friend to vent a little and he had me laughing about it in a few minutes. He sorta made my drug buddy look ridiculous, rather than threatening.

And then (this is where it gets nerdy) I went to a lecture today. It's research week on campus and there was an internationally famous paleontologist visiting to talk about his research on dinosaurs. I went to both lectures he presented. I am studying paleontology but I am interested in different kinds of critters than dinosaurs. But really, who doesn't love dinosaurs? By the end of it I was grinning ear-to-ear. I felt optimistic about my career and future and I was excited about school again in a way I have not been since I started drinking and doing drugs. And I felt confident in my abilities. It's an amazing feeling.