View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
marle

The crippling effects of enabling

My daughter and her non-addict boyfriend are planning a trip to Florida. He will pay for the flight and hotel, she pays this month's bills and brings the spending money. He promised to have $1100 for cutting down two trees, so she booked the trip. I told her to get trip insurance because I believed that he was lieing about the trees. Well today his step-mother calls me and lets me know that he has been begging for money from his mother and step-dad. Mother called step-mother and both think that Megan is a golddigger. That is so far from the truth since she has been working full time and bringing home the only steady paycheck. Boyfriend has been lieing to both Megan and his two sets of parents. Come to find out they have been giving him money for months. The work he says that he has been doing is all a lie. Then the step mother told me that his mother is declaring bankruptcy and selling her home because her children have basically spent her into the ground and she can't say no. My daughter's boyfriend is dsylexic and uses it as an excuse to be a lazy bum. I have been seeing the red flags for months but daughter makes excuses. It is just so pitiful to see a healthy, strong 25 year old man-boy having been enabled to the point where he can't read, can't write, can't get a job, etc. So for all you parents out there that think you are doing your children a favor (addict or non-addict) by bailing them out, paying their bills, etc., know that you are doing them a far worse disservice by helping. Hugs, Marle