Thread: Hi again!!
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MissFixit

Tim,

Good for you for taking care of yourself. You are a smart man to work on those issues now. That sort of stuff doesn't seem to go away by itself, so you are really ahead of the curve.

I too live in SC. My exabf was stationed at Parris Island for several years following his stint in the first Gulf War (closest base to home). We drove down there last summer because I had never been there. They let us look around and the young man at the front post asked us why in the world L would want to come back for a visit as he wanted to get out of there (we thought this was really funny). We drove around, went to the museum and walked a bit. By the time we left, L said that he was really glad that he no longer lived there and began remembering the humidity, heat and bugs. (We lived in Charleston not too far away, but he said the summers at P.I. were the worst).

L too had PTSD from the war. It went unchecked until a few years ago when his drinking spiraled out of control and since then he has gone downhill from there. We are no longer together as a direct result of his drinking and other drinking related activities. He no longer goes to therapy and struggles everday with this.

My father was a marine in Vietnam who struggled with PTSD throughout my childhood and unfortunately it went unchecked until he regularly began angry/violent outbursts after he and my mother divorced. He went to therapy and is now like a different person who has his anger in check.

You are such a smart man to take active steps to care for yourself. There are always opportunites available to capable people who work hard, and I can tell since you were at PI and are now working on your recovery, you are one of those people.

Good luck to you and keep posting.