Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
TryingSoHard
I'm just a little unwell

I can absolutely say that I did thinks while drunk that I would never do while sober, and I am not in any way using alcohol as an "excuse" to get out of consequences of those behaviors. I am mortified when I think back on things I said and did, or get TOLD about things I said and did. That was not me. Not at all. I am not proud of a lot of the things I did while intoxicated.

And the reason I don't try to use alcohol as an excuse for anything is because 95% of what I did that I never should have done I don't even have any memory of. I was a blackout drinker. It started off where I didn't have blackouts, or maybe just if I REALLLLLLLLY drank a lot. But then blackouts started becoming the norm. Each night I was just about guaranteed to lose 1 - 3 hours. It makes me absolutely sick to my stomach when I think back on all of that.

Was I *responsible* for my words and actions during those times? Absolutely. I'm sure, had you asked me point-blank in the middle of one of those times, I would have ASSURED you that I was FINE, I knew JUST what I was doing, and to BACK OFF because I'm a BIG GIRL. I absolutely, positively had no form of rational thought or reasoning process going on, but I sure thought I did.

I am not a cheater. I have never been unfaithful, to my current husband or any other partner I've ever had. Would I be willing to bet money that I'd never cheat while under the influence? Nope, I would not. Because I'm sure if I had enough to drink, and the right person was giving me the right kind of attention, my drunken, irrational mind would be able to convince me somehow that it was a good idea and really wouldn't be that big of a deal. Of course I would TOTALLY disagree once I sobered up, but by then it would be too late. However, I don't think I'd call that alcohol MAKING me do something I wouldn't normally do. I'd call that me going temporarily insane because part of my brain stopped working for a while. While alcohol would be the CAUSE, it would still be my FAULT, if that makes sense.